CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Poor kid . . .

For the last several days Matthew has been out of sorts. I've basically chalked it up to teething and thought nothing more of it. On Tuesday he was beyond crabby and all the same symptoms were present (runny nose, nasty cough, holding his ears, not eating well) but then I heard him wheezing. By the time I called the pediatrician's office they were closed for the day so I called them the next morning when they opened. After a quick once-over the pediatrician said Matthew not only had an ear infection, but allergies and he was experiencing symptoms of asthma. He had to have a nebulizer treatment in the peds office and there was a noticeable difference in the sounds in his chest - he did really well with it too, not a single tear. Since asthma is pretty common in kids nowadays they have portable nebulizers you can keep at home to use when asthma flares up (would have saved my parents countless trips to the ER with me many years ago), so we received one along with a prescription for the meds for the nebulizer and the antibiotic for the ear infection. I gave Matthew another nebulizer treatment before bed last night as he was wheezing once again, this time he was a bit more annoyed with the mask than earlier in the day and we had a few tears, but he did well. Poor kiddo has not escaped my crappy genes. At least I am well-versed in dealing with asthma and allergies! Matthew has a 85% chance of outgrowing the asthma, but then again he has a mother who is part of the 15% who never outgrow it so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

0 comments: