CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 28, 2007

Making Playdough


Joshua has really enjoyed playing with his Play Doh lately, almost every day! So yesterday once I was sick of picking up the little tiny pieces falling off the real Play Doh, I got out the play dough we had made months ago when Joshua really wasn't into it. Unfortunately, after months of being stored and hardly ever used it wasn't very nice. We had just been to a Bright Beginnings play group this week where the parent educator gave out a recipe for Kool-Aid play dough. We decided to try to make this new recipe today. Using the Kool-Aid is a great idea because it not only adds the color to the play dough, but a pleasant scent! Joshua had a blast helping make the play dough - notice his cute apron and chef's hat Grandma H. got him! The recipe is pretty good, although I think I prefer my old play dough recipe that I used for preschool. The new recipe seems to be kind of dry. Next time I think I'll use my old recipe and use the Kool-Aid for the coloring. In the case that anyone is interested, here's the recipe for both kinds of play dough below. . .

Kool Aid Play Dough
2 1/2 to 3 cups flour
1 Tbs. alum
1 pkg unsweetened Kool-Aid
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
1/2 cup salt
2 cups of boiling water
1 additional cup of flour

Mix all the ingredients into a large bowl (except the additional cup of flour). When warming up the water, it is strongly suggested that you warm it up in a pan or a tea kettle. Make sure to use a spoon to stir at first because the mixture will be hot. As it starts to cool, use your hands to mix it. Once the mixture starts turning doughy, knead the mixture on a counter top or table, adding some or all of the additional flour until it reaches the desired consistency. Store the dough in a ziploc bag. It will last for several months if stored properly.

Cooked Play Dough
4 cups flour
4 cups water
2 cups salt
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
4 Tbs. cream of tartar
Food coloring if desired

Cook all of these ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Be sure to stir the mixture constantly until it is stiff. Let it cool and then knead it. Store the dough in a plastic container or ziploc bag. Because the dough is cooked, it will last a long time.


2 comments:

Brenda said...

Awesome recipes. I just introduced Emma to play dough and aside from me constantly reminding her it is not a "snack," she enjoys playing with it.

I'm going to try your second recipe w/ the kool-aid.

Catherine said...

Brenda, since the second recipe seems to be about double I would use two packages of Kool-aid. Let me know how it turns out!