CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Remembering. . .

This is the photo, featured in a Time magazine shortly released after the 9-11 attacks, that sits on the piano in our home as a daily reminder to be thankful - my older brother David is the man in the background in the green pants. I remember vividly the day of September 11, 2001. I was sitting in my preschool classroom with a new class of preschoolers going through our routine for the day. I was sitting on the ground playing with some students as news of the attacks reached us via a phone call from a preschooler's mother. There was also a message from Cory sitting in our voice mailbox. I was immediately panic stricken as I knew my brother worked in the north tower of the World Trade Centers. I finally reached my parents who told me that yes indeed my brother was in the building at the time of the attacks and they had not heard from him as of yet. My principal told me I needed to leave to be with my family. We gathered in my parent's basement watching the news coverage. Thankfully our waiting period was relatively short, because 2 1/2 hours after the attacks happened by brother was able to get a phone call out to us telling us he had gotten out safely just 10 minutes before the north tower fell (the north tower was the first to be hit, but second to fall). We daily thank God for sparing my brother. Today I am once again able to remember this day with thankfulness, but also with sorrow as so many others were not as lucky as my brother to make it out alive. Pray for these many families today.

2 comments:

ASchaaf said...

WOW! Thanks for sharing...9/11 seems like quite a long time ago, but also like yesterday.

Brenda said...

I had no idea that Dave made it into such a picture! I, too, remember that day...waiting on pins-n-needles to hear about Dave!