CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 11, 2008

Boredom Buster!


Due to the cold weather and poor road conditions it seemed like everything was closed or cancelled today. This meant I too had to cancel the MOPS meeting we were supposed to have this morning. So, what to do inside again all day???? I rememebered I had tucked away an art recipe with all the ingredients for just such a day as today! It's a recipe called "Drawing Dough" which came out of Family Fun last Septmeber. Simply take 2/3 cup each of water, flour and salt and mix together, divide in two and add washable tempera paint to make two colors of dough (or if you want lots of one color don't divide). Once it is all mixed pour into squeeze bottles (I found some at Walmart for 78 cents a piece) and draw on construction paper! It will take a while to dry depending on the thickness of the dough. I must say I've done something similar in preschool so I prepared for this to be messy from start to finish. If you can get over the messy factor this is a fantastic recipe/activity! Joshua doesn't like to be dirty most of the time, so things like shaving cream and finger paint only last for a few minutes at most with him. He enjoyed the cleanliness of just squeezing the bottles and getting results. It was also good for him to use as a strengthening exercies for the muscles in his hands (muscles he will later on need to use for writing). I must say, I played around with this stuff myself and had a great time. This really is one of the best recipes I've seen for this time of activity! So all of you who are struggling with what to do on another snow day try this one!
The crinkled nose shows just how hard he is working!

Fun for even adults to play with!

A messy creation

Squeeze!!!













3 comments:

ASchaaf said...

That is really cool! I also get Family Fun, but don't remember that. I think we'll have to pick up some squeeze bottles soon.

Van Wesep Ventures said...

Looks like fun! We also, were once again stuck in the house. However, I had previously scheduled for a friend to come over for a while to go over something with me for a job interview she had. Fortunately, for the kids - because of the snow day she brought 3 out of her 4 kids along. They had a blast playing some kind of game they made up in the basement. We heard lots of laughing and "screaming". Anyway, great idea, I'll have to check it out the next snowy day! Thanks for sharing. Looks like Joshua had fun!

Brenda said...

cool new lookin' blog template! Where does one get WASHABLE tempura paint?