CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Can you guess by the picture what we've been up to???


With all the horror stories of potty training that I heard as a teacher and now as a mother I must say I was apprehensive to begin this process. It was fantastic and a bit unbelievable when Joshua trained himself to poop on the potty almost a year ago already. I was praying I'd have the same luck with the pee training since I'm not a fan of sitting kids on the potty constantly throughout the day and forcing them to use it (I call this parent training, not potty training). Since he hasn't trained himself yet I was still taking the laid back approach of waiting until he was 3 to worry about it. I have been offering Joshua the choice of underwear or a diaper for many weeks now. Usually he chooses a diaper, but we have had a few days when he has chosen underwear and has had very little success in keeping them dry. Lately however, we have instituted "naked running" every night before getting jammies on (thanks to Owen's infulence)! The past few nights Joshua has stopped cold in his tracks and has run into the bathroom telling us he has to pee and he does! So, now that I know that Joshua is aware of the feeling of having to go to the bathroom I decided to nudge him into potty training. Yesterday morning I gave him the choice of underwear or nothing. He repeatedly asked for a diaper (stubborn little boy!) to which I replied wasn't a choice, but reminded him that each time he used the potty he could get a Skittle. So he spent a good hour running around with a naked lower half and using the toilet. Then he asked for underwear. He did pretty well with a few minor accidents. I put a pull-up on him for nap time and told him not to worry about peeing during nap time. Five minutes after I put him in bed he called me telling me he had to pee which he did in the potty. He took his nap and as soon as he woke up was yelling that he had to go pee which he again did in the potty. The amazing thing - he kept his pull-up dry during his nap! Since 2 pm yesterday he has been using the potty consistently (except for periods of sleeping) and stayed dry! I told him that if he could keep his underwear/pull-up dry for the next few days he could pick out a new toy. He declared that he was going to stay dry and use the potty so that he could get a Mack truck from the Cars movie. Could it be that this little boy was trained in a day?!?!? Let's hope there a Mack truck is in Joshua's near future and no more diapers in both our futures!

2 comments:

Van Wesep Ventures said...

Way to go Joshua! Allison has finally achieved this milestone as well. She got Little Einsteins Rocket for her reward. Hopefully, you will get your Mack truck soon. Good Job buddy!

ASchaaf said...

I totally agree that potty training is really parent training! Congrats on the great success!