CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 10, 2009

First Day of Preschool!

Today was Joshua's first official day of 4 year old preschool! He was sooooo excited already at orientation yesterday! I had very few worries this time around as he did so well in preschool last year and loved it. However, this is a new school, new teachers, new classroom and new friends so I wasn't totally sure how smooth of a transition it would be. I was amazed and thrilled as Joshua gave me a hug and a kiss and then ran off to play with a friend of his from church that is in his class! Not a tear or a look of fear in his eyes! Guess it helps he has one year of preschool under his belt already! Maybe this will be more of an adjustment for me than Joshua as this is a preschool program I am not familiar with. Thus far I've had to bite my tongue several times and can see a meeting with someone in the district in my near future. I really had hoped I could just be a parent and not have to bring up my educational background/training and experience, but I'm afraid the early childhood advocate in me is going to rear it's head soon. Perhaps I'm just too used to a cutting edge, developmentally appropriate program that is centered around children. For Joshua's sake I'm trying to keep my negative thoughts to myself so this year will be a positive one for him. Here's to the start of a great school year!

Traditional picture before leaving for school!

A little treat for after dinner tonight to celebrate his first day of preschool!

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

What a big boy! Can't believe he is in his 2nd year of preschool already. Hope he has a great year. Love the giant cookie!

Renee said...

Catherine, I can relate with your frustrastions with the differences in preschools. I had a difficult time adjusting to PreK and Kindergarten for both Sydney and Reid when we moved here. I had to grieve Oakdale's program. I still have a very hard time holding my tongue. When I do make suggestions, the response ends with that just wouldn't work with the legistics of my classroom!!! But you never know that until you try! Good luck and feel free to vent with me because I feel your pain. The first week of school 2 years ago I called Lorna and Susan for advise!