CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 24, 2009

Meet Matthew's Nemesis. . .

Mind you this child took a bottle starting at 3 weeks old and did so off and on since that. He refused it at my cousins wedding, but I figured that he was just overly tired and overly stimulated not to mention that the milk had been kept cold due to the heat that day and cold milk isn't what he is used to. So we tried a bottle a few days after the wedding and he took it without much of a problem. Then last week while I was gone, of course, he refused to take a bottle when Cory tried for more than a 1/2 hour. Joshua ended up getting Matthew to eat while he was sitting in his rocker. So, I decided we need to do a little bottle bootcamp so this little issue is resolved sooner rather than later. Wednesday he did pretty crappy as we tried for an hour to get him to eat out of two different bottles (Dr. Brown's and the Born Free he'd drank out of before), but he eventually ate 3 1/2 oz. We noticed he is chewing on the nipple and when he tries to drink he is gagging so we bought a bottle with a different shaped, shorter nipple - the NUK. Last night we tried the NUK and he kept gagging with that one and playing with it. Off to Babies R Us I went in search of some other options - I had researched what worked for other people whose breastfed infants refused bottles. I came home with 4 more bottles and we tried the First Years BreastFlow out. He didn't chew on the nipple, he just played with it and refused to eat. He was screaming and ticked off by bedtime and Cory and I were both very frustrated. So, we will continue to try a bottle a day for however long it takes him to figure this out, as at some point I would like to wean him so we need to find something that works. The question I struggle with now is do we try another kind of bottle or save our money and keep trying the ones we already have open??? Mind you we have now tried 5 different kinds of bottles and I have 3 more on hand to try if necessary. Seems that Matthew has a bit of a stubborn streak, hmmm wonder where he got that from?!?!

1 comments:

Brenda said...

Oh boy...you need to talk to Bradi. Her Sydney REFUSED a bottle and it eventually came down to an 18(?) hour hunger strike...probably nothing to do w/ the bottle at all.

I remember it well because I was on the "trying" end many times...