CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Run, run, run and lots of fun!

Still unbelievable to me that today I actually ran my first 5K race! A friend and neighbor of mine, Christy, and I started walking daily once our kids were in bed at night. Eventually she talked me into running and somehow won me over on the idea of running a 5K with her. Previously I told her I used to run, but my knee had been injured and due to that and a lack of interest I'd never run again. She must have been very persuasive because I signed up for the race. It actually was nice to train with someone and we are pretty compatible when it comes to running strides and speed. Today was race day and I couldn't believe how different it was running in a race versus running around our neighborhood. My official chip time was 34:37 and Christy's was 36:18. I will never claim to be a fast runner, I'm just in it for the challenge of completing it successfully; my goal was between an 11 and 12 minute mile so I met that goal by running an 11 minute and 9 second mile - not bad when I haven't run in over 5 years and only trained 2 months! I'm happy with how I did, but am ready to better my time in the next race. . . did I say next race?!?! Yikes, this could be scary. Let the training continue!




Christy and me after the race.

Shortly following the 5K was the Kid's Fun Run (1/2 mile) which I had signed Joshua up for. He chose to run with me to which I happily, but tiredly obliged. He did pretty well considering most of his life he is quite the slow poke! Twice I heard he was tired, but he pushed on to the finish line holding my hand the whole way. He was one proud little boy when he got his medal at the finish line (along with every other kid who ran the race)!


Right before the Kids Fun Run.



About to cross the finish line!


Onto the next event . . . the parade! We got to our seats and only had to wait a few minutes before the parade began and boy was this some parade! Joshua filled a gallon bag with the candy he collected during the hour and 15 minutes of parade fun (it probably won't all be gone by Halloween)! He even got a long sleeve T-shirt with his school's mascot on it thrown to him! Matthew didn't really understand the whole parade thing, but after an half hour of watching Joshua and the other kids around us running out in the road to get candy he just had to try it out himself.

Here comes the parade!



Matthew watching intently.



Trying to figure out how the whole candy collecting works.



Didn't take him long to figure it out!

One content little parade watcher with one of the many suckers collected!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow! super congrats! I'm very impressed.

Sheryl said...

Way to go, Catherine! I am hoping to do the same thing next year in honor of turning 40. Thanks for being an inspiration! :-)