CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Couple of Fun Activities

I watched a neighbor's daughter all day yesterday since she didn't have school (I usually only watch her after school). So, what to do with a couple of kids who have spent a bit too much time together this week and decided that yesterday was a good day to bicker (oh and did I mention I didn't have the car with car seats since Cory had taken it for the day to get an oil change)?!? Thankfully I had thought ahead and had a couple of activities in mind to fill some of the time. We had made wave bottles earlier in the week with just vegetable oil and water, but this time the kids wanted to make more layers and make a rainbow in a bottle. I found a list of ingredients online that we could use and we set to work mixing and pouring. First we put in Dawn dish washing liquid, then we put colored water in, next was vegetable oil (no color was added to this), and the final layer was colored rubbing alcohol. The kids were amazed at the outcome, as was I! We also made "snow paint" to paint with. The recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of Ivory Snow Powder Detergent, 1/2 cup of liquid starch and 1/2 cup of water - beat it for several minutes with a whisk. The paint was quite runny after we were done mixing it so I just added some more detergent. The final result was a fresh smelling, white, runny paint that worked well for painting snow scenes. on dark paper The coolest part was that it dried with a slight puff to it!
Rainbow layer bottles

Snow paint


0 comments: